- The purpose of the IELA is to improve the quantity and quality of literature in the recipient's library that deals with the mapping sciences (i.e., photogrammetry, remote sensing, GIS, and related disciplines). It is administered by the ASPRS Foundation.
- The IELA is made to a university or educational institution outside the USA.
The award consists of the following:
- $350 worth of books, manuals, or other literature published by ASPRS;
- A five-year free subscription to Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing;
- Proceedings of the annual conference for a five-year period;
- One free registration to the conference where the award is to be presented for a member of the institution to whom the award is given.
The total value of this award is over $1,500. The materials are to be placed in the libraries of the institutions receiving the award.
The IELA award has been augmented by a generous grant from the Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) of the complete ESRI Press Library collection, selected titles from the John Wiley and Sons, Publishers, catalog, and selected Proceedings from the Association of American Geographers (AAG).
- Application is by Special Application Form (PDF) .
- The IELA selection committee will evaluate each application. The applicant who, in the opinion of the majority of the committee, has the highest overall ranking will be designated as the recipient.
- The recipient institution must place the publications and materials in their institutional library and make them available to students and researchers without limitation.
- Any institution that receives the award is ineligible to apply for the award again for a period of five years.