- To facilitate research-related travel by outstanding graduate students in remote sensing.
- Such travel includes field investigations, agency visits, participation in conferences, or any travel that enhances or facilitates a graduate research program.
- Graduate Student members of ASPRS.
- A grant of $2,000 and a hand-engrossed certificate.
- This award is presented by ASPRS, with funding provided by a grant from the ASPRS Foundation on behalf of individual and corporate contributions to the Foundation in memory of Ta Liang, a skilled civil engineer, an excellent teacher, and one of the world’s foremost air-photo interpreters.
In addition to the application form and two letters of recommendation, applicants must submit the following items:
- A 2-page statement detailing the plan for research-related travel and how it fits into the applicant’s research and educational objectives
- An official transcript of all college-level courses completed and grades received, class rank, and, if available, scores on the Graduate Record Examination, to demonstrate scholastic ability.
- A description of the applicant’s extracurricular activities, particularly as they relate to community service.
The selection committee will evaluate each application, applying necessary weights as indicated below:
- 40% on the basis of scholastic record
- 30% on the basis of the research travel plan
- 20% on the basis of letters of recommendation
- 10% on the basis of community service activities