The ASPRS Young Professionals Council's mission is to support professional development through mentoring, networking and certification. YPC functions as a means to introduce young professionals to the profession of Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS); encourage active involvement within the geospatial and imaging profession; and provide a platform for professional growth. The Council oversees activities pertaining to the advancement of ASPRS members who are non-student professionals with ten (10) years or less experience, and who are thirty-five (35) years old or younger. YPC engages with the Student Advisory Council to support student members transitioning into the professional workforce.
Officers & Members
- Serve as an advocate for ASPRS Associate Members, providing a 5-year plan that outlines professional development milestones to strive for during their Associate Member period.
- Promote the ASPRS Certification Program among graduating students who are entering the workforce as young professionals.
- Implement a mentoring program for young professionals, utilizing mentor volunteers from Sustaining Member firms and existing members.
- Coordinate with the Student Advisory Council and Sustaining Members Council to foster positive relationships between members transitioning from the Student to Associate and from Associate to established professional / Active member status.
- Engage young professionals to present at ASPRS Special Sessions covering topics focused on real-world experience with geospatial science and technologies in the workplace; to share professional proficiencies and accomplishments.
We are pioneering a mentoring program focused on young professionals (post-students through age 35). After graduating college, individuals may no longer be engaged in regular interaction in a scientific community with structured milestones of achievement, working toward goals. Additionally, they are faced with career choices and challenges requiring informed decisions. The mentoring program is designed to connect individuals with seasoned professionals that can offer insights to help add context, guidance and support to their professional development efforts. Mentors sign up online to offer support in specific areas of specialization, and mentees can reach out to the mentors of their choice to begin the process, with YPC's support along the way.
A beta mentoring program is currently under way, but a mentor list will be available soon.
If you are interested in working on the Mentoring Committee or have suggestions, please contact Ryan Elizabeth Bowe, GISP.