Classified & Job Ads
THE INTERNATIONAL FOOD POLICY RESEARCH INSTITUTE
SENIOR RESEARCH ASSISTANT/RESEARCH ANALYST/EPTD
WASHINGTON, DC (#14-160)
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks to recruit a skilled SRA/Research Analyst to work on spatial analysis to support strategic, policy-focused research across a range of geographic scales from sub-national through to global. Current regional foci are Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, but global perspectives on challenges and opportunities for poverty and hunger alleviation in developing countries pervade much of the work of this program. The success of the research program will depend, in part, on its ability to develop and maintain large, integrated sets of spatial and tabular data linked to a range of biophysical (e.g. hydrological, crop growth, land degradation and land use) and economic models. Thematically, data and analyses will encompass spatial dimensions of climate and climate change, soils, agricultural production systems, ecosystem services, economic activity, market access, and multiple dimensions of human well-being. The ability to bridge gaps between different scales, methods, and disciplinary perspectives is central to the work of the program.
This is one-year, fixed term, and is renewable depending on performance and funding. This is position is based at IFPRI headquarters located in Washington, D.C. might involve travel to the countries in which IFPRI carries out its research.
The successful candidate will perform the following duties:
- Document, catalogue, and manage a very large and growing collection of national, regional and global spatial data sets.
- Familiar with remote sensing applications and modelling, in particular on cropland, grassland and forestry.
- Write database, object-oriented or procedural language code to perform specialized analytical functions related to biophysical and economic applications of large datasets.
- Articulate and implement the spatial (primarily raster-based) analysis tasks required to achieve GIS related technical outputs, e.g, reclassification, reprojection, multi-criteria model building, network analysis
- Together with IT (including WWW) specialists in IFPRI and the CGIAR contribute to the design and implementation a capacity to share spatial data, analytical tools and analytical results through both the intranet and the internet.
- Master's degree in Engineering, Geography, Natural resource economics or related field.
- At the Research Analyst level, a minimum of 2-3 years of relevant post-Masters work experience is required.
- Proficient in scientific programming language such as C++ or Fortran, python or Java.
- Familiarity with data management, processing, and analysis.
- Significant experience using major GIS software such as ArcGIS or GRASS.
- Significant experience in statistical software such as Stata, SPPS, R, etc and experience in managing and manipulating large household survey and spatial databases.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with colleagues from diverse cultures
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Sound knowledge of international agricultural policy, economic development, and natural resources.
- Previous experience working on international development issues and/or extensive knowledge of relevant development issues within an academic context.
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks sustainable solutions for ending hunger and poverty. Founded in 1975, IFPRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership for a food secure future. The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
External Candidates: Go to www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research" to link you to Position #14-160 – Senior Research Assistant/Research Analyst, EPTD. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
For more information on IFPRI, visit our website at www.ifpri.org. EOE