Committee Name: Data Preservation and Archiving Committee
Committee Type: Standing
Committee Function: Project/Liaison-Perpetual
- The purpose of this committee is to provide an open forum for gathering and disseminating information about data preservation and archiving practices and procedures as a service to private, government, and academic entities owning and/or operating digital and analog spatial data facilities.
- Appointed annually by ASPRS President for one-year term. Serves through the annual convention in the year following the year in which the appointment was made.
- Responsible for: setting committee meeting agenda; meeting announcements and records; chairing meetings; maintaining committee roster; submitting to ASPRS President notification of committee member appointments; submitting to ASPRS Board of Directors written semi-annual committee reports; attending Board of Directors meeting when committee is recommending policy change or Board action; submitting to ASPRS President on an annual basis the committee's proposed goals and objectives for that year.
- The committee shall be comprised of no less than five members of the Society. The three major segments of the Society membership (government, private, and academic) shall be reflected in the committee composition. Members shall be appointed on recommendation of the committee chair and with the concurrence of the ASPRS President. Members may serve for more than one consecutive term. The ASPRS President and Executive Director or designee shall serve as ex officio members.
- Responsible for: attending meetings; addressing and evaluating all charges to the committee; other functions as assigned by the Chair.
- Define "archive" and "data preservation"
- Form subcommittees to address a broad scope of data preservation and archiving issues
- Develop and maintain strategic plan for this committee
- Formulate recommendations in annual report to the Board regarding standards and procedures used by archiving facilities
- Maintain register/roster of archiving facilities and archivable holdings to serve over the Internet
- Organize and conduct technical sessions, forums, and workshops for data preservation and archiving
- Establish mechanisms for absorbing new technologies regarding data preservation and archiving; and the potential impact of new technologies on preservation and archiving
- Liaise with ASPRS Division Directors and Committee Chairs on matters relating to data preservation and archiving, and for assistance in gathering and disseminating technical information and membership expertise
Cannot expend funds or make other commitments on behalf of the Society unless specifically approved by the ASPRS Executive Committee or Board of Directors. Cannot speak for the Society.
(Approved by Board of Directors 3/2/95)