Divisions and Committees
The mission of the Electronic Communications Committee is to enable the ASPRS to fully utilize state-of-the-art multi-media networking capabilities as an effective way to:
- Keep ASPRS members and the general public informed of the society's purpose, functions, and activities
- Improve/expand interaction with Society members and the general public
- Facilitate, advise, and recommend policy direction if/when ASPRS decides to provide electronic versions of PE&RS and/or other publications
- Serve as a source for access to world-wide sources of spatial data
The Electronic Communications Committee will focus on the following niches:
- Provide oversight and guidance to the ASPRS website Editor
- Coordinate the development and implementation of a hierarchy of linked pages for national and regional Society programs
- Give oversight/guidance on aesthetic, technical, social, and legal issues relating to multimedia based electronic information services provided by the Society.
- Evaluate issues and establish policy for limiting access to some electronic services, publications, and data sets only to Society members
- Examine/evaluate appropriate security techniques for limiting access to some data sets, and for purchasing digital versions of publications
- Recommend policy on the issue of advertising by Society sponsors within the context of the multimedia network environment
- On the ASPRS website, Society members and the general public are provided a comprehensive juncture to world-wide sources of spatial data. Users of the site can consult a current calendar of society and related events, information on joining the society, an index to all past issues of PE&RS with abstracts of all articles, listings of employment opportunities, one or two current articles from PE&RS, browse through descriptions of items available at the ASPRS bookstore, and "eavesdrop" on several Society forums developed from each region/division.
- Society members, using appropriate security measures, can access a complete electronic version of current or past issues of PE&RS, search the membership list for specific names, and order selected items from the ASPRS bookstore in digital form. Members may participate in discussions held on a variety of ASPRS forums.
- The ASPRS headquarters office provides email service for each individual staff member, multi-media access to world-wide electronic information services, and the ability to change/add/update information provided on the ASPRS website. Supported by expertise at the ASPRS headquarters office and/or the website editor, individual ASPRS regions/divisions maintain their own sites, linked to the ASPRS national site, providing regional services and information to Society members, and to the public.