Divisions and Committees
Knowledge of the historical development of photogrammetry, remote sensing, geographic information systems and other mapping science technologies is important to a full understanding of the scope and significance of those sciences in the current milieu and to provide a basis for forecasting future trends. A key means for capturing that history is to record the past activities and accomplishments of pioneers and leaders in the field.
The mission of the Memorial Lecture Committee is to develop a body of knowledge concerning photogrammetry, remote sensing, geographic information systems and other mapping science technologies which is based on the achievements in the past of outstanding scientists and practitioners. That knowledge is presented to the society by memorializing outstanding leaders in the field through lectures which are subsequently published.
- Coordinate the preparation and presentation of the memorial lectures to be given at the annual conventions of ASPRS.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director and Convention Director in arranging for memorial lectures at each annual convention.
- Nominate the persons to be memorialized.
- Nominate the persons to present the lectures.
- Coordinate with headquarters staff in assuring proper publication of the lectures.