For anyone who believes in the future of agriculture, Farmers Edge is the place to work. We are a global leader in precision agriculture and independent data management solutions – our entire team is passionate about the possibilities of agriculture and is relentless in the pursuit of optimizing success for each and every grower. Our approach to customer service is partnership – we take our cue from our growers. And we continually strive to find the best solutions delivered in the best way possible. To be on the leading edge of agriculture, you need to work for Farmers Edge.
Remote Sensing Scientist – Earth Observation
Location: Des Moines, IA. Remote location may be considered.
Reporting to the Head of Analytics, the Remote Sensing Scientist will be responsible for the enhancement of our earth observation catalog and product development of field-scale analysis. Using multi-spectral, hyperspectral, and radar imagery your task will be to support and advance the delivery of our satellite and air-borne products within our precision agriculture platform. Duties may include the following:
- Image processing including satellite and air-borne imagery;
- Implementation and monitoring of anomaly correction processes (i.e., atmospheric correction);
- Visualization of phenomenon to support crop scouting and field operations;
- Design, evaluation, and interpretation of software tools and algorithms related to vegetative health and crop yield;
- Software development for data processing and aggregation;
- Collaborate with other team members to identify best approaches and practices, prioritize needs, resolve conflicts and provide status updates;
- Provide technical support for resolving complex issues;
- Communicate effectively with Managers and Software Developers;
- Consistently seek to improve knowledge and skills;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in physical or biological science relevant to earth observation using remote sensing. Graduate degree (MSc, PhD) preferred;
- 3+ years using remote sensing software (ENVI, PCI Geomatica, eCognition, etc.);
- Working knowledge image processing including feature extraction, change detection, image classification, spectral un-mixing, and dimensional reduction;
- Software development to support customization and automation an asset (ideally one of Python, R, or IDL);
- Experience with hyperspectral image assessment and analysis;
- Radar image interpretation for soil moisture modelling & crop assessments;
- Able to work under minimal supervision and apply sound judgment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills essential for success;
- Oriented toward team success;
- Good verbal and technical writing skills;
- Ability to support and track multiple simultaneous projects
Farmers Edge offers a very competitive compensation package including comprehensive benefits and retirement plan.
Please apply by visiting www.farmersedge.ca/careers or by copying and pasting the below link: