University Job Title: Director 4, YCGS
Bargaining Unit: None – Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Administration & Operations
Wage Ranges: Click https://your.yale.edu/work-yale/careers/wage-ranges to see our Wage Ranges
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: 2 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family: Administration
Total # of Hours to be Works: 37.5
The Yale Center for Geospatial Solutions (YCGS) is a new initiative at Yale University with the mission to provide a world class, user-centered infrastructure supporting research and training in advanced geospatial data, analytics, and techniques. These include but are not limited to: in situ, airborne and satellite sensors, drones, geographic information science, and geospatial analytics. The Executive Director (ED) will be responsible for creating and managing the Yale Center for Geospatial Solutions (YCGS) focused on providing new research, teaching and engagement opportunities in support of academic work in Geospatial Solutions (GS) across campus, and advance university-wide collaboration, support and innovation with the goal of developing new research, attracting robust external funding and providing an intellectual and physical hub for GS activity on campus. Receiving direct guidance from the faculty co-directors and reporting to the Vice Provost for Research (VPR), the ED is responsible for implementing the primary goals of the Center by deploying and coordinating support for faculty, staff and students across campus and advancing alignment of new and existing resources to advance Geospatial teaching, discovery and knowledge dissemination at Yale. The ED will be a strategic visionary responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan to position Yale University as a world leader in geospatial research and emerging solutions to global challenges. The ED be a funding generator and work with faculty to identify opportunities to attract federal and private funding. The ED will be a data-driven strategist and leverage cutting-edge technology and advanced data analytics tools to develop a real-time, data-driven metric visualization system to track the impact of geospatial research, support evaluation of programs, and provide valuable insights to optimize the center’s operations. The ED will hire and manage staff with expertise in different areas of geospatial data and analytical methods, particularly GIScience and satellite and airborne remote sensing imagery.
They will engage with the Geospatial community to understand the current Geospatial landscape, centralize currently disparate Geospatial resources and identify areas of needed growth and development. The ED will regularly convene, with the VPR Office and the Faculty Directors, the internal Steering Committee and the external Advisory Board to identify future opportunities to promote geospatial research and collaboration across the University’s departments, schools and units. The ED will also be responsible for advancing goals for outreach and communication of geospatial intended to impact change and synergize with Yale’s broader work on Planetary Solutions.
- Responsible for bringing the YCGS and its offerings to life within a larger institution; and drive consensus on vision among range of stakeholders.
- Oversee team delivering core products and service.
- Identify needs, barriers, opportunities for both core services and university systems to better serve customers, improve efficiencies, enhance security and reduce risk.
- Support Provost Office in reaching consensus among multiple components in implementing systems changes.
- Develop processes to efficiently and effectively onboard new high-quality and high-value software and hardware for use by Yale researchers while ensuring necessary infrastructure and technical support is in place.
- Technical Research support
- Educate and support faculty and researchers in the Geospatial tools, techniques and data applications
- Assess the need for Research and Technology support staff to be provided though the center, oversee staffing processes and supervise technical staff.
- Collaborate with existing campus partners to coordinate optimized resource allocation.
- With staff leads and faculty advisors, design, establish and oversee processes to provide sufficient training for new researchers, support advanced research efforts, and identify opportunities for future investments.
- Oversee development, support and possible management of relevant funding opportunities Supporting University-wide Coordination and Collaboration
- Develop collaborative relationships with various partners across all areas of the university to advance Geospatial research in alignment with University priorities. General duties
- Collaborate with the YCGS Faculty co-directors to develop and execute strategic plans and goals.
- Develop and implement programs and activities related to the mission.
- Support the recruitment, onboarding, retention, and space needs of staff and customers.
- Work with faculty directors and Lead Administrator on annual budgeting process, monitor revenue and major expenditures.
- Provide infrastructure for research activities via space planning, budgeting, support for grant writing, and staffing.
- Represent the YCGS within Yale, in the community, at scientific conferences, with donors and alumni, with government agencies and foundations.
- Serve as a bridge between affiliated members, faculty leadership, department chairs, school deans, and other high-level administrators.
- Supervise exempt and non-exempt staff, including working with HR and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Participate in fundraising efforts, donor relations, and stewardship reporting, in conjunction with faculty directors, the Vice Provost for Research and Office of Development.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 10-years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated ability with geospatial data, methods, and tools including but not limited to remote sensing and GIScience.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Demonstrated evidence of being an entrepreneurial, strategic, and passionate leader. Past success in organizational leadership, design and launch of new services, and product management (e.g., user-focused design, build, delivery, marketing and advocacy of a service).
Required Skill/Ability 3: Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with team player mentality. Discreet and effective at representing the Center and faculty leaders in sensitive and high-level interactions with internal and external stakeholders. Excellent written, graphic, and oral communication and presentation skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Demonstrated success balancing the needs of a range of stakeholders and the product management talent to effectively navigate a complex institution to bring to life a new, successful, high-impact enterprise within a large, complex institution or system.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Demonstrated ability and technical proficiency to lead, oversee, and assess performance of advanced technical team including geospatial researchers, software engineers, or other technical staff.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Experience in leading a relevant research entity or other leadership experience in an advanced higher education setting or other research-intensive organization, including technology company, or government agency. Experience in agile processes. Experience with fundraising and grants.
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements: All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. For additional information on the background check requirements and process visit “Learn about background checks” under the Applicant Support Resources section of Careers on the It’s Your Yale website.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement: The University maintains policies pertaining to COVID-19. All faculty, staff, students, and trainees are required to comply with these policies, which may be found here:
Posting Disclaimer: The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4874197
Yale is a tobacco-free campus.