2013 Conference Special Sessions:
· 2013 Spring Conference : Maritime Applications of Remote Sensing (Morelli)
· 2013 Energy/Environmental Remote Sensing (Steffke)
· 2013 Fall Conference: Global Water Security (Blundell)
· 2013 Spring Conference: Climate Change and Extreme Climatic and Weather Events (Bernardes)
2013 Conference Hot Topics:
· 2013 Spring Conference: Discuss how OBIA is approached in the research community in comparison to how OBIA is being implemented in production environments. (Smith)
· 2013 Spring Conference: Guideline Development for Appropriate Use of Remote Sensing Data for Climate Change (McCombs)
· 2013 Spring or Fall Conference: Coastal Inundation Mapping (McCombs)
Best Practices & Guidelines:
· Appropriate Use of Remote Sensing Data for Climate Change (David Alvarez, GISAD)
· Remote Sensing Terms Glossary of Mapping Sciences (McCombs)
Reviewed general RSAD Goals
· Best Practices in the Field
· Out-reach Education
Alan Cook mentioned handling addressing the data… using, fusing, how to see it. Organizational structure. Working Group and can’t analyze the data enough. Form a working group on data handling, data quality. How to document data provider packages. How to put quality indicators in the metadata. NOAA has a maturity index for some of the data. 120 Earth observing satellites today. Another 20 launched in the next 5 years.
Quantifying the size of the problem. Who should NOAA, NASA, USGS, NGA, Bill Stoney. On-going problem.. don’t have tools to figure out how to intelligent system to tag the data. Metadata, etc.
RSAD and PDAD should address the data. How to use it, etc.
We create the data and we need to exploit it… maybe a hot topics.
European Space Agency has an effort to create database with Euro about their satellites. Greg is leading the effort MIMS. ESA – collaboration effort. Talk to the GEOS. Global Earth Observation System. Finished the workplan for 2012 – 2015. Outlines all tasks available on-line. Who is the executive director? Gary Foley US – GEOS director. Many tasks related to that effort CEOS Committee on Earth Observation. Many tasks to support. We should be coordinating and working with them. GGOS – Global Geodetic Observation System: Global Geodetic Observation Points. Potential to create global accuracy network around the globe.
What are the highest priority things ASPRS Application Divisions?
April 26, 2010
Remote Sensing Application Division Meeting
San Diego, CA
Joseph Knight, Director
Joe Knight reviewed the RSAD mission then solicited long and short term goals from RSAD members. Below is a summary
Short term goals:
· Web site update and maintenance (Szymanski)
· Develop RSAD member survey (Knight)
· Hot Topic session for Fall 2010 in Orlando (Knight, Szymanski)
· Hot Topic and Special Sessions for Spring 2011 in Milwaukee
Long term goals:
· Devise Best Practices for remote sensing
o Vendor-specific like WV2 red edge spectral band
o Automatic feature extraction
o Application-focused: including flood plain mapping, climate change, bathymetry, calibration and validation, etc.
· Satellite Advisor effort
o How to order imagery
o USC database ww2.rshgs.sc.edu
· Seeking satellite data stewards
· Produce remote sensing webinars
· Contribute to the UCGIS GIS&T Body of Knowledge