The Student Advisory Council (SAC) was introduced at the 2006 Annual conference in Reno, Nevada. Through SAC, students have an opportunity to voice their opinions and discuss ways the Society can serve them best.
Student initiatives can cover a broad range of areas, such as:
- developing a technical session career track for upcoming annual conferences
- organizing a student networking reception at the annual conference
- recommending publications for the ASPRS Bookstore
- reviewing books and software
- initiating a student blog on the ASPRS website
- stimulating an exchange among members of student chapters across the country
- organizing a Student Summer Education Assembly
Oversight of this Council is the responsibility of the most recently elected Board officer from the academic sector. The SAC is open to all ASPRS members - especially students, associate members, faculty advisors of ASPRS Student Chapters and other interested parties.