Welcome to Early Career Professionals Council page!
Here, we try to bring you important information to help you along with your career, from important scholarship information, to highlighting web tutorials, mentorship opportunities, and information on useful geospatial events in your area!
APPLICATION FOR ASPRS ECPC POSITIONS
Mission: The Early-Career Professionals Council (ECPC) engages and mentors early-career professionals, advocates continuing education, and fosters positive relationships between members transitioning from the member with Student distinction to the member without that distinction. ECPC encourages the dissemination of professional and institutional knowledge and standards through education, mentoring and technical opportunities; and work closely with the Society’s membership staff, Student Advisory Council, and Sustaining Members Council to strengthen the Society and its members.
Acting with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, the Early Career Professionals Council is charged to:
- Develop and recommend to the Board of Directors policies and procedures governing the programs and services to be offered by ECPC to subscribing members and the public.
- Provide policy guidance and consultation for the Executive Director and BOD in setting priorities for programs and services.
- Promote the ASPRS Certification Program
- Implement a mentoring program for early career professionals, utilizing mentor volunteers from Corporate Member firms and existing members.
- Serve as an advocate for ASPRS Members entering the workforce, providing a plan that outlines professional development milestones to strive for in their first few years in the industry.
- Coordinate with the Student Advisory Council and Sustaining Members Council to foster positive relationships between members transitioning from the student to professional.
- Coordinate with other councils such as the Student Advisory Council and the Sustaining Members Council to host conference events such as the Student Employer
- Meet and Greet and the Early Career Professionals Social
- Work with the Student Advisory Council to appoint SAC-ECPC Liaison members
The Council consists of four ASPRS members, with new officers appointed by the current council members in an application/ review/election process. The Council consists of four roles: Chair, Vice Chair, Deputy Vice Chair, and Immediate Past Chair; each position is held for a period of one year with the transition during the annual conference. Currently, we only have Chair, Vice Chair, and Immediate Past Chair filled.
IMMEDIATE PAST Chair
The ASPRS Early Career Professional Council (ECPC) has pioneered a mentoring program focused on young professionals (post-students through age 35). After college graduation, individuals may no longer be engaged in regular interaction in a scientific community with structured milestones of achievement, working toward goals. Additionally, they are faced with career choices and challenges requiring informed decisions. The mentoring program is designed to connect individuals with seasoned professionals that can offer insights to help add context, guidance and support to their professional development efforts. Mentors sign up online to offer support in specific areas of specialization, and mentees can reach out to the mentors of their choice to begin the process, with ECPC's support along the way.
The ASPRS Early Career Professional Council promotes professional and educational training for early career professionals in need to transit to new careers. The professional and education training for these early career professionals may be achieved in formats (but not limited to) of webinar series, video tutorials, conference workshops, face-to-face meetings with employers, professional consultancy with ASPRS mentors.