Career Opportunities in Land Surveying
April 30th at 2:00 pm EST (11am PST)
• Presenter: Ryan Swingley
• About: In this series, Mr. Swingley will discuss career opportunities in the exciting would of Land Surveying. He will discuss what surveying is and how it affects the physical world around us. Mr. Swingley will talk about different career segments in land surveying and the future job outlook.
• Age group: 8th to 12th grade
• Presenter: Ryan Swingley graduated from Vincennes University with A.S. in Surveying Technology and 1999 and gained licensure to practice as a Registered Land Surveyor in the State of Indiana in 2005. He is also licensed as a Land Surveyor in Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky. Ryan has worked as a consultant, performing large-scale boundary, topographic and route surveys since the beginning of his career in 1997 and has been involved with lidar control, collection, extraction and QA/QC since 2010. Ryan now is the Geomatics Manager using the Riegl VMX-1HA Mobile Lidar and Image capture hardware and software with ESP Associates to provide large-scale high-density surveys for the transportation engineering industry. Ryan is also an adjunct professor at Vincennes University teaching Remote Sensing for Land Surveyors.
• View Here: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/15F5BbHipmVOX6Oc-nP-V4MiF9jFX6a81igZrqEPy0_0Od-lhYBoc3K3WvZFvHgx
Studying Population Change using Interactive Mapping Tools
May 5th at 2:00 pm EST (11am PST)
• Presenter: Joseph Kerski
• About: Explore how to examine patterns of population change, migration, and demography with interactive web maps and web mapping applications. Join geographer Joseph Kerski as we investigate how these 2D and 3D maps can be easily accessed, modified, and turned into powerful online presentations.
• Age group: Middle School
• Presenter: Dr. Kerski has served as geographer in government, industry, academia, and nonprofit organizations, has authored 5,000 videos, 1,000 lessons, 2,000 essays, 8 books, 75 articles and chapters, podcasts, and other resources; his research focuses on teaching and learning with Geographic Information Systems.
• View Here: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/wcxWALfpx0JOSZXP6B_EaJAsLKriaaa8hCke_vJezNICBUdj6Ftl_L8IOBa2GXI
Product Management, 3D, and maps
May 8th at 2:00 pm EST (11am PST)
• Presenter: Chris Andrews
• About: Maps are cool, but without tools, few people would know how to create them or share them. Product management is the art and science of guiding the development of a product from concept to sale to use by a real-world person to accomplish work. At Esri, we fuse product development with maps and other technologies, such as 3D, to create the tools that are used to map our world, analyze spatial problems, and communicate to scientists, political leaders, and business owners.
• Age group: Middle School
• Presenter: Chris Andrews is the Group Product Manager for an Esri team covering products focused on Smart Cities, BIM Project Delivery, and 3D. During his 20-year career, Chris has focused on exposing the value of GIS throughout organizations by combining cutting edge technology with ease of use to put the most capability in the user’s hand with the least amount of specialized technology expertise required. Chris holds a Bachelor of Science in Geology-Biology and a Master of Science in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology from the University of Rochester where he concentrated on spatial clustering analysis and spatial population simulation modeling.
• View Here: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/v_FYEI728lpOfIXy1ESFWZcOJZ3hX6a81CgZ-vcIxEvZFC5Wr1GIEGcllbqiDlZQ