[Download the Strategic Plan in PDF Format]
The ASPRS membership officers and staff continue to implement a new vision for ASPRS. The goals and objectives set forth in this Strategic Plan represent the focus of our organization and the path we will follow in the years to come.
Our measure of achievement will be how well all aspects of the organization adopt and follow these guidelines on the national regional and local levels. The ASPRS leadership expect this Strategic Plan to be a living document that changes with the needs of our members and the society at large.
Every ASPRS member is encouraged to review this plan and find a way to become involved in its implementation; whether as a member of a standing ASPRS committee or division a regional representative or national officer.
The American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing promotes accurately described and widely available imaging and geospatial information that is broadly applied to improve the analyses and decisions necessary to sustain and enhance the global quality of life.
The mission of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing is to promote the ethical application of active and passive sensors the disciplines of photogrammetry remote sensing geographic information systems and other supporting geospatial technologies; to advance the understanding of the geospatial and related sciences; to expand public awareness of the profession; and to promote a balanced representation of the interests of government academia and private enterprise.
INCREASE OUTREACH AWARENESS AND USE OF IMAGING AND GEOSPATIAL INFORMATION
- Sponsor forums to promote collaboration between end users and geospatial experts to match data and technology to applications and solutions.
- Prepare materials and presentations that encourage spatial thinking through the inclusion of geospatial sciences in K–12 educational curricula.
- Promote the use of geospatial technology throughout a wide range of higher education programs.
- Increase the public awareness of ASPRS and continuously improve our media presence.
CONTRIBUTE TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF U.S. AND INTERNATIONAL GEOSPATIAL POLICY
- Provide a clear and timely voice on policy and related issues that affect the vision mission goals and objectives of the Society.
- Encourage and direct additional governmental funding for geospatial activities including education.
- Foster the use of policies for the procurement of geospatial services that recognize professional qualifications.
- Maintain a strong international presence through ISPRS and promote the transfer of open geospatial data information technology and associated skill sets to support developing nations.
- Maintain a strong presence through participation in COGO ACCRES UCGIS NGAC and other geospatial organizations.
PROMOTE AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS THROUGH THE ASPRS FOUNDATION
- Expand the number and scope of awards and scholarships while working to ensure their full endowment.
- Increase the pool of qualified award and scholarship candidates and widely publicize each year’s winners.
- Promote the ASPRS Foundation to individual members sustaining members and industry leaders.
INCREASE SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP
- Ensure that membership recruitment is a top priority for all organizational elements of the Society and that the Membership Development Leader is fully supported.
- Promote retention through clear articulation of benefits value and relevancy of membership using effective outreach methods.
- Develop a clearly-defined strategy to retain and expand membership both within and beyond the traditional fields of photogrammetry and remote sensing.
- Embrace new and innovative membership recruitment methodologies.
- Acknowledge and reward successful recruitment champions.
- Specifically promote membership to demographically under-represented groups.
- Promote awareness by employers in the geospatial community that membership and participation in ASPRS contributes to their employees’ professional development and personal commitment.
PROMOTE PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CERTIFICATION AND LICENSURE
- Expand the Partners in Education Program.
- Support development of model curricula in geomatics and geospatial sciences.
- Promote the certification program.
- Provide continuing education opportunities to serve needs of members and non-members.
- Promote the use of the NCEES Model Law where licensing is required by states.
- Develop a mentoring program for early career geospatial professionals.
- Uphold and promote values consistent with ASPRS Code of Ethics.
STRENGTHEN ASPRS STUDENT PROGRAMS
- Increase awareness of student awards and scholarships.
- Support and encourage student participation in conferences.
- Enhance visibility of student authors in ASPRS publications.
- Encourage student chapters and a strong Student Advisory Council.
- Promote student mentoring and networking opportunities.
- Incorporate student input into Board meetings.
DEVELOP STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES FOR THE USE OF EMERGING GEOSPATIAL TECHNOLOGIES
- Document data requirements for a broad spectrum of applications and solutions.
- Maintain a leadership role in the development of guidelines and specifications for the use of sensors and the resultant data collected.
- Expand ASPRS participation in national and international standards development committees.
- Promote the understanding and use of published standards by producers and users of geospatial data.
- Encourage adherence to standards for imagery and/or sensor source collection and processing.
ENSURE CONTINUED FINANCIAL STABILITY
- Maintain conservative budgeting careful monitoring of cash flow and full transparency of all financial activities.
- Maintain an efficient headquarters staff infrastructure.
- Maintain a financially self-sufficient conference program.
- Increase publication distribution and revenues.
- Manage reserve funds in accordance with the Society’s Investment Policy.
ENHANCE THE STRENGTH AND VALUE OF ASPRS PUBLICATIONS AND TECHNICAL PROGRAMS
- Provide a strong professional journal and align publication topics with the information needs of the membership.
- Maintain an efficient peer review process that serves the needs of authors and ensures high technical standards.
- Ensure that all publications are widely promoted and easily accessible.
- Provide meaningful forums for technical exchange professional networking and social interaction through national and regional conferences.
- Provide a robust and diverse workshop program that serves the professional development needs of the membership and provides education and outreach to the non-member community.
- Expand technical reach of ASPRS by disseminating information data documents journals etc. using electronic and online capabilities to the greatest extent possible.
ENSURE CONTINUED ORGANIZATIONAL STRENGTH
- Optimize governance of Regions and Chapters to promote effective and timely communications between all levels of the organization.
- Ensure continuity and strength of leadership of regions divisions committees and ASPRS senior support staff through mentoring and succession planning.
- Promote active regions divisions councils and committees ensuring they have appropriate staff support to accomplish goals and fulfill requirements of governance.
- Ensure the scope of staff support is sufficient well-defined and understood by all.